Thursday, February 28, 2013

Ruffled skirt...in 30 minutes!

So when I was in Houston for Quilt Market....I spent a little time...and money in the Ruffle Fabric  booth.   The fabrics are so much fun and the samples in their booth were so adorable. They also have so many colors and widths of elastic to use with their fabrics.   Be sure to check out their web page...there are also several links for tutorials in using their fabrics as well!
 
One of the pieces I purchased (I may or may not have brought home several) was this large gray ruffle.
I folded it in half length-wise and cut it in half.
Then I put right sides together and pinned each side...making sure the ruffles were facing the same direction.  I sewed each seam with 1/2" seam allowance and tapered in when I got to the waist.
 
With a quick try on to make sure all was well, I moved on to the elastic waistband.  I cut a length of elastic that circled my waistline comfortably, then cut that piece in half again and sewed the side seams together.
 
I noticed that the elastic was fraying slightly so I did add a zig-zag stitch on each end before adding the waistband to the skirt.  I put the right side of the elastic waistband to the right side of the top of the skirt, matching the side seams.  Then was careful to only stretch the elastic as I sewed the two pieces together.
 
 
Easiest waistband ever!  And I love this wide elastic...very comfortable.
 
Next I tried on the skirt to check length.  I felt it was approximately 5 ruffles too long, so just trimmed off that length...and Done!
 
Easy Peasy...done in just about 30 minutes!
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment