Friday, March 27, 2015

My Fantasia Quilt is Complete!


 
Two rows of two and a half inch squares sewn together to make an outer border, some simple quilting and then prairie points make this  quilt complete.  I am totally in love with this quilt! 
 
I found a tutorial online for making the prairie points  using a width of fabric instead of cutting each square separately.  The directions were really easy to follow and they really didn't take me long to make...and of course using a width of fabric, as long as you made your cuts in the appropriate places your points will be very evenly spaced.  The only thing I didn't like was that I felt like I had more bulk  using the folded width of fabric  when I was doing the final stitching.  I really struggled to make it lie flat on the back....and that was frustrating.
 
One hint, if you make a quilt and want to add the prairie points as a finishing touch, make sure you let your longarmer know so that she/he doesn't quilt all the way to the edge of the quilt.  You really need to leave a  minimum of a half an inch or even an inch so that you've got room to turn that seam under and it's really hard to do if the quilt has been quilted too close to the edge.  The last thing you want to do is pick out quilting stitches. (ask me how I know this....fortunately I gave myself room on this one!)
 
 




 
I printed and stitched on a very special label and the quilt is on it's way to provide love and comfort to someone very special. 
 
Thank you Sara Lawson (@SewSweetness) for the opportunity to create something lovely with your new fabric line and to honor your Grandpa.  Love you to the moon and back, my sweet friend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment